Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mom! There's No Food In The House!

How many times have we have heard that one???? 

Undoubtedly these seven words, when strung together, are most likely to make any Mom (or Dad for that matter) scratch their heads.  Wait another 10 seconds and the parental rant is sure to begin. 

It goes something like this: "How can it be that I raised such an ungrateful child that does not understand that there are so many children around the world (and in our community no less) who go to bed hungry at night and you, who are so blessed, dare to declare that there is no food in the house!"

From there our kids wonder when the United Nations came into play.  They look at us as if we have made utterances in languages they simply do not understand, stomp their feet and proceed to their rooms until they regroup.  Ten more minutes will pass and the albeit hungry children return to the kitchen to "make due" with whatever the cupboard has to offer.

There aren't many of us who are willing to disclose the particulars of this interchange but with growing boys at my house it happens so often that  I am tempted to compose the music that would go with these lyrics.  I would entitle the tune The Lament of the Teenage Junk Food Junkie.

The truth is, they don't know how lucky they are.  Even when times are tough, as they are now for most of us middle americans, most of our kids have nothing to complain about.  When they say there's no food in the house what they really mean is there is no overly sugary, way too salty, crunchy, processed and made of things I can't even pronounce in the house.  Not a dictionary definition but you all know what I mean.  When they say, I have nothing to wear, what they really mean is that they left their clothing all over the floor and have nothing clean to wear. 

Sound familiar yet?

We live in an era of I want it right now and for most folks, it's possible to get what ever you  need at a moments notice.  But for so  many, even the basic necessities of life are still beyond their grasp for right now or for the near future. 

So I will keep at it as Mama says . . . my dear child, let us be grateful for what we have and let us work together to see what we can do to reach out to those who have so much less than we do.  Enjoy the peanut butter sandwich I made you and let's pack the the unopened jar for someone who could use it.

7 comments:

  1. As always, I enjoyed this - it rings so true and I can almost tell you which one of mine said it. I look forward to your next "blog". You tell it like it is/was. Thoroughly enjoyable. Stay with us, my friend. I'd follow you anywhere. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it sad? As your oldest son I can honestly say I have said that more times than you can remember. On my own now I realize it's the simple fact that my generation (and the generations behind me) are just too damn lazy to make food. We want everything quick, easy, and yesterday. Working in the schools too, it is absolutely amazing to me how much food we really throw away. If I were to stop every kid from throwing away the partial sandwich, the apple that had 1 bite out of it, the 3/4 full milk, and the tray of vegetables, box it up and ship it to a 3rd world country every day, I could feed hundreds all school year long. We take so much for granted and the only way we will acknowledge what we really do have, is if it is all taken away. Reality sets in real fast and unfortunately it's the only way some people will learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This mamas says.........Stock up on cereal! I remember having 7 gallons of milk & 9 boxes of cereal on-hand all the time! First week of just Beth I found I had a fridge full of tinfoil-leftovers! From summer 8 to fall 3 I needed to re-learn portions and cook for only 3 now! I found myself telling Chuck and Beth "yogi night!" , "you're on your own!" until all the tinfoil disappeared!!! I am getting better now but it took a couple weeks of "yoyo nights!" Although Beth having 2 nights of yoyo's as Chuck & I on way to MMA for Ian's parent weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it means ..... there are no pop tarts

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made it to Castine Maine-feels Ike bElow zero with a tiny heater! I like to read ur blog Carm and u know I will always follow u! Saw brochure for trail!! Danke schon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, Carm - it's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article Carm- looking forward to the next one. And out of necessity, I started pointing out the many grocery store options our children have on Aquidneck Island for buying the food that isn't in my house. Amazingly enough, they started going - AND running into other friends in the aisles!!!
    Now if I could only get them to prepare a meal and wash the dishes:)

    ReplyDelete